For a person of any age to smoke in a private vehicle (that is enclosed wholly or partly by a roof) that is carrying someone who is under 18
for a driver (including a provisional driver) not to stop someone smoking in these circumstances.
- Any private vehicle that is enclosed wholly or partly by a roof.
- A vehicle with a sunroof open.
- Sitting in the open doorway of an enclosed vehicle.
- Motorhomes, campervans and caravans when they are being used as a vehicle.
Does not apply to:
- Motorhomes, campervans and caravans when they are being used as living accommodation.
- A convertible car, or coupe, with the roof completely down.
- Somebody who is 17 and smoking alone in a private vehicle.
- Boats, ships and aircraft (covered by other legislation).
- Work vehicles and public transport (covered by other legislation).