Below you will see a recipe for a meal that is designed to feed your brain with the nutrients it needs to function at it’s best.
Egg yolks contain choline. Your body uses it to make acetylcholine, a vital neurotransmitter that passes messages in the brain. It’s needed for learning and memory, in particular, turning short term memories into long term ones.
Oily fish such as sardines, are high in Omega 3 fatty acids which protect the brain and play an important part in learning and memory. They make it easier for signals to cross the gap between brain cells.
Curcumin, found in turmeric, has been strongly associated with higher cognitive function, better mood, and protective effects against various brain diseases. It also promotes the growth of new brain cells. It is best absorbed in the presence of black pepper.
Dark chocolate, berries and kale all contain flavonoids. Flavonoids are part of the polyphenol group responsible for protecting the brain against toxins. They help promote the growth of new brain cells and protect the brain from chronic inflammation.
Coconut and avocado contain a large number of medium chain triglycerides which can be broken down into ketones to feed the brain directly. They have also been shown to improve memory.
Vinegar can reduce the time it takes for your stomach to empty and this results in a slower rise in blood sugar.
Olive oil contains vitamins E and K which help with memory.
Seaweed contains Inositol which helps the communication between between cells.
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1 small handful of kale
- Salad leaves
- Olive oil
- apple cider vinegar
- Wild caught sardines
- 200ml coconut cream
- small handful of mixed berries
- chocolate chips
- Omelette – Heat 2 tablespoons of grass fed ghee in a frying pan. Beat the eggs, add a teaspoon of turmeric, half a teaspoon of ground black pepper, a small handful of finely chopped kale and stir. Pour the egg mixture into the pan and cook until firm.
- Salad – Mix salad leaves and seaweed with sardines and avocado. Dress with olive oil and apple cider vinegar.
- Dessert – blend 200ml coconut cream with a small handful of mixed berries. Poor into a bowl and top with dark chocolate chips. Chill to set.